It has generally been assumed that the black pigments (melanins) which occur normally or pathologically in animal tissues, hair, skin, feathers, etc. are chemically very inert substances, and in most cases their isolation has been carried out by dissolving the tissue in boiling alkalies or strong acids. Thus Abel and Davis  prepared melanins from both the skin and hair of a negro by heating the material at 1000 either with 5-6 % potassium hydroxide or witb concentrated hydrochloric acid until all the keratin had dissolved. Other investigators have used even more drastic methods such as boiling with more concentrated alkalies or even fuming hydrochloric acid. (Source)
(Western science) Applications of Melanin
Melanin can be used for many applications in both the medical and non-medical fields. With its patented melanin extraction technology, NPS is ready to prepare melanin powder, paste and concentrated aqueous solutions, based on application. Extensive research conducted on applications of melanin has revealed its ability to increase the durability of plastics. Melanin is also a powerful UV blocker, producing effective UV protection in sun lenses. Additionally, melanin can be blended with transparent eye-glass plastic lenses and soft contact lenses to screen short wavelengths, which cause early damage to the eye.
(Western science) Cosmetic Applications of Melanin
- Anti-aging agent: Lessens the appearance of sagging, fine-line wrinkles and evens the color of spotty and darkened skin.
- Reduces inflammation of delicate skin and of skin that has been cosmetically incorrectly treated.
- Stops the development of acne-spots and helps getting rid of their disfiguring marks.
- Evens out the skin tone.
- Has been used effectively as a major ingredient in sun screens.
- 100% plant based.
- Screens the skin from all kinds of harmful radiations.
- Acts as an antioxidant against free radicals and oxidizing agents.
- Anti-inflammatory: against irritation, redness, swelling and sensitivity to the environment.
- Mixes evenly with cosmetics. Can be entrapped in Liposomes or be coated on inorganic oxides.
- Anti-ulcerogenic and anti-secretory of gastric acids.
- Chelator of metals and molecules. Can remove radioactive and trace elements from solutions.
- Immune system boosting agent.
- Able to absorb and retain water up to five times its dry volume.
- Accelerates the healing of wounds and burns.
- Of identical composition to the melanin of the skin. Non-toxic and non-allergenic.
- May be used as a food colorant; of various chocolate and dark brown hues.
- MRI image enhancement factor.
- Has been blended with many plastics to improve durability and performance.
- Quality tested and scientifically verified.
- Melanin from NPS is a pure, high quality, affordable and cost-effective product.
**Melanin prices are dependent on volume, format and intended application.** For more information on melanin applications, please complete the contact form.