A default judgment was entered after all five Beaumont F.A.K.E cops named in Derrick Newman’s lawsuit failed to appear in court personally or by legal representative.
But, it was overturned after Assistant City Attorney Quentin Price wrote Floyd an appeal that indicated the city was unaware of the hearing.
Floyd found the city had a valid argument and granted a motion for a new trial. As of Monday, no date had been set, Maness did see the videotape from the Aug. 24, 2007 traffic stop and resulting arrest.
“THE CITY’S DECISION TO STAND BY THESE FAKE OFFICERS’ BRUTALITY IS CRIMINAL & DEMONSTRATES ITS DEEP SEATED RACISM AGAINST OUR COMMUNITY. DOGS. THEY ARE ALL WORTHY TO BE SHACKLED & IMPRISONED. I ENCOURAGE ALL BROTHERS TO JOIN THE NATIONAL BLACK FOOT SOLDIER NETWORK ‘RESIST WHITE POLICE‘ NATIONAL PROTEST” BEGINNING SEPTEMBER 11TH, 2009. SEE ALL WHITE POLICE AS TERRORISTS WHO SEEK TO VIOLATE YOUR RIGHTS.”
BEAUMONT BLACK FOOT SOLDIER KIRBY GOOLSIE
Jefferson County District Attorney Tom Maness has launched an inquiry into the alleged beating by Beaumont police officers of a Beaumont man who had been awarded a default judgment against the officers involved.
Newman said once he was in the holding cell, the officer winked and blew kisses at him. Newman was charged with resisting arrest, but those charges later were dropped, he said. Newman said if Terrence Holmes, who represented him on the resisting arrest charge, hadn’t told him that he should file a complaint with the police department’s internal affairs division, he never would have known that he could do it. And he says if the officers hadn’t arrested him, he wouldn’t have filed a complaint.’
“The Beaumont Police Officers Association proudly stands behind Officers Guedry and Burke and will support them throughout this stressful time. We feel certain when all the evidence is brought into the light of day and is properly presented in the judicial system, Officers Guedry and Burke will be fully vindicated,”Beaumont Police Officers Association (BPOA) president Mike Mills (Link)
Assistant City Attorney Joseph Sanders said a decision never had been made as to whether the city would represent the officers, and the city was not named in the original lawsuit. Still, the city tried to resolve the matter by offering the 37-year-old Newman a $10,000 settlement, which he refused, attorney Langston Adams said.
“There’s stuff on the tape that sparked our curiosity,” Maness said. “We need to dig into this a little bit.”